(MED programme - Targeted Call for 'Innovation for renewable energy and energy efficiency')
EU Commission has recognized the exemplary role of the public sector towards the development of future sustainable smart cities. To that goal, based on recent regulations (Energy Performance Building Directive (EPBD) recast 2010/31/EU), by the end of 2018, all new public buildings shall be nearly “zero-energy buildings” and member states shall draw up action plans for including measures to stimulate the refurbishment of their stock.
Public buildings are considered as a key component towards the development of future smart cities since they possess a high energy-saving potential which can be achieved through technical solutions. Furthermore, the renovation of public open spaces is also a significant factor for achieving sustainability in City environments, as long as it targets on the mitigation of the so-called Urban Heat Island (UHI) effect.
However, current national design tools disregard external microclimate in assessing and suggesting measures to improve indoor conditions and energy performance, while national energy policies do not institute mandatory measures for open spaces.
REPUBLIC-MED addresses the necessity of innovation transfer to current study approaches adopted for retrofit works. New insights on the study stage have been identified and they can enhance current study methods towards the implementation of energy performance and urban planning standards, in the horizon of 2018 requirements for retrofit works in the public sector. The benefits of these novel approaches are highlighted through strategically selected pilot sites in the partner Countries. Based on the findings, energy and environmental policy planning recommendations and technical instructions, where necessary are emerged.
KiNNO Consultants Ltd. as the external expert of the Municipality of Piraeus is responsible for:
- Conducting the analysis of ongoing experience and practices applied for retrofitting purposes in a national level
- Assessing of techno-economical studies already conducted and implemented for the refurbishment of public buildings and open spaces in the Municipality of Piraeus
- Mapping of innovative retrofitting methods, models and decision making strategies applied in the techno-economical study stage available from the Greek scientific literature
- Mapping innovative financial schemes for retrofitting purpose in Greek, European and International level
- Extracting representative typologies of public buildings and open spaces at the Municipality of Piraeus, able to serve as substrates to perform pilot activities.
Partnership: Center For Renewable Energy Sources (Greece), Municipality of Piraeus (Greece), Agency for Sustainable Mediterranean Cities and Territories (France), Metropole Nice Cote d'Azur (France), Valencia Institute of Building Foundation (Spain), Energy Agency of Ribera (Spain), Foundation Democenter-Sipe (Italy), Emilia Romanga Region (Italy), Energy Institute Hrvoje Pozar (Croatia), Zadar County Development Agency (Croatia)