What is the ERC-Proof of Concept?
The Proof of Concept Grant is a funding initiative by the European Research Council (ERC), open to researchers who have already been awarded an ERC grant (Starting, Consolidator, Advanced or Synergy). This grant will help these researchers to verify the innovation potential of their ERC-funded frontier research projects and it aims at bridging the gap between research and marketable innovation.
Who can apply?
All Principal Investigators in an ERC frontier research project, that is either on going or has ended less than 12 months before the opening date of this call (2 August 2016), are eligible to participate and apply for an ERC Proof of Concept Grant.
How does it work?
The successful applicants receive a financial contribution of up to EUR 150 000 for a period of 18 months in order to establish the innovation potential of the idea. This grant funds actions for:
- technical validation
- market research
- clarifying the intellectual property rights position & strategy
- investigating business opportunities
- provide feedback for budgeting & other forms of commercial discussion
- provide connections to later stage funding
- cover initial expenses for establishing a company
All proposals must be complete and be submitted before the following deadlines.
The application requires a seven page proposal that will outline:
• The idea to be taken to proof of concept.
• The innovation potential of the idea
• The economic and/or societal impact expected from the project
• A reasonable and plausible plan of the activities
• An ethics review table
KiNNO, with significant experience in enhancing the innovation potential of new technologies and systems, will support researchers defining a transfer strategy throughout the PoC project, making sure that the value of their idea is maximized.
You can find the brochure here.